3M is demonstrating an excellent example of MANO (Marketing, Advertising, Networking, Online). They are giving away $10,000 for the best consumer generated commercial for Post-It notes as judged by the online network of consumers. Of course this is going to create a lot of buzz. This is brilliant from a variety of perspectives.
1) Just think of all the people who will watch hundreds of Post-It Notes commercials.
2) This is a very inexpensive campaign compared to what they would have had to do to gain half the exposure the are going to gain compared to using traditional marketing techniques.
3) This is not just about creating buzz, which it will do plenty of that, this is about sales lets say 500,000 people go out and buy 2 packs of Post-It Notes at $5 a pack. Thats 5 million dollars in Sales. I think these numbers are conservative.
4) 3M is on a mission to understand their consumers. They will find out just how people use Post-It notes and then they will be better equipped to introduce new product that resonate perfectly with their customers.
5) Increased Brand Recognition. Can’t you all the grandmother talk about “Did you see my Grand-baby’s Post-It Notes commerical wasn’t it good!”
6) They will be drive tons of traffic to there website which means they have even more opportunity to convert visitors into sales.
MANO really works. Put MANO to work for you.
Byte or get bitten